blogspot visitor
Abueleriasx2: On 2nd April 1982 a group of Argentineans invade the Falkland Islands - El 2 de abril de 1982 un grupo de argentinos invade las Islas Malvinas
My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Monday, December 15, 2008

On 2nd April 1982 a group of Argentineans invade the Falkland Islands - El 2 de abril de 1982 un grupo de argentinos invade las Islas Malvinas

London, 15th April 1982

Dear mum and family,

Well, I have decided to write at last. As you already know, very serious and worrying things are happening. There is still a faint hope and perhaps when you get this matters might have been solved.

Personally we have not been affected in the least. We are perfectly safe and well and with no apparent problems. The only thing that could make our life difficult would be that if we travel we will need a special visa to come back to this country. I am going to get legal advice to discover what we can do about that problem.

As you can imagine, we have our life here, the house, a job and a British child. So, unless things become very extreme it will be best to stay put and ride the storm until it is over.
I cannot deny that this situation is very anguishing for me as it is awful to feel we are in the middle of a conflict. People are as kind as always but the papers, radio and TV are spreading a lot of bad feeling.

OK, in any case I assure you that we personally have nothing to worry about. Nevertheless, we are aware that you must be quite nervous but we are sure you are safe from immediate need. I am not sure of Ruben’s age but I think he is the only person I know that could be at risk of being drafted. I hope he’ll be allright.

In spite of all this my life is going well, I have a lot of work and the studio is successful. I am also illustrating two children’s books for the UK and one for Italy. I also a lot of illustrations for advertising. All in all we have never been so prosperous. My health is very good but because the situation is very worrying I went to the cardiologist to ask how could it affect me. He told me I am perfectly fit and can resist anything.

Patricia is well and taking everything much more philosophically than me. The weather is improving and the parks and gardens are full of flowers. We go out a lot. Pablo wants it to be summer to feel warm and to be able to take off his clothes. Every day he is more lovely and charming but also knows how to talk rough. He is going to school but at the moment he is on holiday. When school starts he’ll be full time but until now he was attending only in the morning.

I am sending this letter with a friend who is travelling to Buenos Aires so the postage will be from there. I hope that way you’ll get it sooner.
We have been told that phone calls to Argentina are interrupted and I don’t want to risk you not getting this letter.

Please do not worry about us, we are perfectly allright. We are not worried because we know you are all well.
Many kisses,

Oscar

Londres, 15 de abril de 1982
Querida mama y familia:

Bueno, al fin me decido y escribo. Como ya sabréis, las cosas están graves y angustiantes. Aún parece quedar un poquito de esperanza y por ahí, cuando recibas esta carta, las cosas podrían haberse solucionado.

A nosotros en el plano personal las cosas no nos han afectado en lo más mínimo. Estamos perfectamente a salvo y sin aparentes problemas. Lo único que podría dificultarnos la vida es el hecho de que para viajar necesitamos una visa especial por si queremos volver a este país. Yo me voy a poner en contacto con un abogado a ver cómo puede resolvernos este problema.

Te podes imaginar que aquí tenemos todo, la casa, el trabajo y un hijo inglés, así que a menos que las cosas se nos pongan muy jorobadas lo mejor para nosotros es aguantarnos la borrasca y mantenernos calmos hasta que todo se resuelva.

Por supuesto que no puedo negar que esta situación me tiene muy angustiado. Es muy pero muy desagradable estar en el medio de todo como estamos nosotros. La gente es tan cordial como de costumbre pero los diarios, radio y televisión andan desparramando un montón de mufa.

Bue, de todas maneras te aseguro que no tenemos nada por qué preocuparnos en el plano personal. También pensamos que Uds. Deben estar medio nerviosos pero a salvo y sin inmediatas urgencias.

Como no estoy muy seguro de la edad de Ruben, pienso que él es el único conocido que puede estar cerca de la mobilización. Espero que le vaya bien.
A pesar de todo, las cosas me van muy bien. Tengo mucho laburo, el estudio anda muy bien y estoy haciendo dos libros para chicos aquí y uno para Italia. Estoy haciendo montones de ilustraciones para publicidad. En síntesis, nunca estuvimos tan prósperos.

De salud estoy muy bien. como esta situación me tiene muy nervioso fui al cardiólogo a ver si algo me podía afectar y me jodería la salud. Me dijo que no, que estoy perfectamente bien y que puedo resistir cualquier cosa.

Patricia está bien y se lo toma mucho más filosoficamente que yo. Los días se están poniendo lindos, los jardines y los parques se llenan de flores. Salimos a pasear.
Pablo quiere que sea verano y haga calor y sacarse la ropa. Está cada vez más rico y simpático pero mal educado. Habla como un carrero. Va a la escuela pero ahora está de vacaciones. Al regreso de éstas va a ir todo el día. Por ahora va a la mañana solamente.

Esta carta la voy a mandar con un amigo que viaja a Buenos Aires así que va a estar franqueada allí. Espero que les llegue más rápido así. Ya nos informaron que las comunicaciones telefónicas están interrumpidas y no quiero arriesgar que esta carta no llegue.

Por favor, no se preocupen por nosotros que estamos perfectamente bien. Nosotros no nos preocuparemos pues sabemos que ustedes están bien.

Muchos besos,

Oscar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home