blogspot visitor
Abueleriasx2: Summer 1980 - Verano de 1980
My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer 1980 - Verano de 1980



Barcelona, Oscar & Luis Luchi



Barcelona, Patricia & Pablo


London, 17th August 1980

Dear mum!

I have decided to write at last. It would be useless to try to find excuses for the long delay in writing, there is none. My life is made up of long lazy periods and very busy times hence the difficulty in making time to write letters.
Our latest communication was the tape for granny and that was a month ago, before our holidays. Well, before I start and belatedly, happy birthday! I would have liked to phone but couldn’t.
How many already?
Next Saturday it will be my birthday and we’ll have a party to celebrate with a few friends. I think that I will be 37 but I never remember how old I am (it’s better that way, so they do not accumulate).

We went to Barcelona or, to be exact, Sitges, a town on the seaside 35 km from there. We rented a flat and a car so we could go to Barcelona a few times to visit friends. Last time we had been there was 10 years ago. I am not a great admirer of Spain but we had a good time. At least it was hot (here we are well and truly lost weather wise).
Pablo was very surprised that there, everyone speaks Spanish and he could practise all the bad words he learnt from us. Unfortunately, everybody can understand them in Spain.

Today is Sunday, cloudy and gray to keep with tradition. On TV they are showing “The adventures of Don Juan”. Patricia and Pablo are sitting on an armchair and read a poetry book for children in English. Pablo looks very seriously as his mother meows, whimpers and screams, imitating lost piglets. Errol Flynn sword fights to save his life and the honour of Spain, I write and the sun appears to be thinking of showing itself.

Two weeks ago I started to work again. I am a bit rusty after 8 months of enforced rest and most of the time I don’t feel like going to work, not because of my health but due to LAZINESS, pure and simple. I got used to staying at home.
I will soon have an animation table made specially to keep at home so I can work from home. I will then be able to go into town only twice a week.
It’s possible that I may do more illustration; I will probably work on a children’s book with a writer friend soon. Today, however, I am assaulted by a healthy lethargy that stops me from thinking about future projects.

I slept until 11.30 this morning, a remarkable happening to someone who wakes up at 6 or 7 every day. I wake up early and then spend the day as sleepy as a zombie.

My health couldn’t be better; last week I had a check-up and the cardiologist wondered at my astonishingly healthy state (I see him every three months). I lost a lot of weight, am weighing 79 or 80 kg (when I had the heart attack I was weighing 110kg! I don’t smoke, I don’t drink, I am tanned, I take iron tablets and anticoagulants (to make my blood lighter).

Errol Flynn is still sword fighting like mad, the sun is really coming out, although timidly. Perhaps we will go for a stroll.
Things that Pablo said:

- My mouth is sleepy.
- (looking at a horror book) That ghost is scared.
- (looking at his lower leg) This is a tit.
- ( “ “ “ “ “ ) Inside here I have kittens (he had seen a pregnant cat).
- (looking at an astronomy book) This moon is called ‘the earth’.
Etc.

OK, I will say goodbye now because we are going out. Kisses to everybody, I solemnly swear that I will write more often.
Kisses,
Oscar
Londres, 17 de agosto de 1980

Querida mama!:

Al fin me decido y escribo. Es inútil ya disculparse por haber tardado tanto en escribir. No tengo perdón. Mi vida se divide en grandes períodos de fiaca y períodos de estar ocupadísimo, por eso nunca encuentro ni un minuto para escribir. Lo último que hicimos fue la cinta para abuelita y eso fue antes de irnos de vacaciones, hace ya un mes.
Bué, ante todo (aunque con retraso) ¡Felíz cumpleaños! Yo hubiese querido hablar por teléfono pero no pude. ¿Cuántos son ya?
El próximo sábado cumplo yo y haremos una pequeña celebración con los amigos. Creo que cumplo 37. Nunca me acuerdo cuántos son (y mejor así pa’ no ir acumulándolos).
Estuvimos en Barcelona, mejor dicho en Sitges, una playa a 35 kilómetros de allí.
Alquilamos un depto. y un auto y fuimos varias veces a Barcelona a visitar a los amigos que allá viven. Hacía 10 años que no íbamos por allí. No soy un gran admirador de España, pero lo pasamos bien. Al menos hacía calor (porque lo que es aquí vamos fritos con el tiempo.
Pablo se sorprendió de que allí todo el mundo hablase en español y practicó todas las cochinadas que aprendió con nosotros. Claro, aquí podés putear a gusto, pero en España te entienden.

Hoy es domingo, nublado y gris pa’ no perder la costumbre. Por TV vemos “Las aventuras de Don Juan”. Patricia y Pablo están sentados en un sillón y leen un libro de poemas para niños en inglés. Pablo mira con toda seriedad y su madre maúlla, lloriquea e imita gritos de chanchitos perdidos. Errol Flynn espadea tratando de salvar su vida y el honor de España, yo escribo y parece que el son se va animando y empieza a salir.

Empecé a trabajar nuevamente hace dos semanas. Estoy medio oxidado después de 8 meses de forzado reposo y me da gran fiaca ir. (No por problemas de salud sino de FIACA, con mayúscula. Me había acostumbrado a no salir de casa). Pronto voy a tener una mesa especial de animación y voy a empezar a laburar más en casa. Voy a ir al centro sólo un par de veces por semana. Quizás intensifique un poco más mi actividad de ilustrador. Es probable que pronto haga un libro para chicos con un amigo. Hoy no puedo hablar mucho de mis decisiones para el futuro pues estoy invadido de una saludable fiaca y me niego a pensar.

Hoy dormí hasta las 11.30 de la mañana. Todo un acontecimiento para uno que se despierta siempre a las 6 o 7 todos los días. Me despierto temprano y después ando como un zombie (del sueño) todo el día.

Mi salud anda viento en popa, ví al doctor la semana pasada y este se maravilló de mi estado (lo veo cada 3 meses). Bajé un montón de kilos, peso 79 u 80 kilos (cuando tuve el ataque, ¡pesaba 110!). No fumo, no bebo, estoy bronceado, tomo hierro y anticoagulantes (para que la sangre corra más fluída).

Errol Flynn sigue a puro espadeo, sale el sol nomás, sol tímido pero sol al fin. Creo que saldremos a pasear. Dichos de Pablo:

- Al bostezar: “Mi boca tiene nono”
- Viendo un libro de monstruos: “Ese fantasma se asusta”
- Mirando su pantorrilla: “Esto es una teta”
- “ “ “ : “Aquí adentro tengo gatitos” (por una gata preñada)
- Mirando un libro de astronomía: “Esta luna se llama ‘la tierra’”, etc.


Bueno, me despido pues ahora salimos a pasear. Besos a todo el mundo.
Prometo solemnemente escribir más seguido.
Besos,
Oscar


4 Comments:

Blogger Oscar Grillo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:31 pm  
Blogger Oscar Grillo said...

Patricia is the most beautiful woman I ever met.

Some people asked me about the old man in the photo. He was Luis Luchi (Luis Yanichevski), one of the greatest poets of Latin America.

Patricia es tan hermosa!..

El viejito de la foto es Luis Luchi (Yanichevski) uno de los mas grandes poetas de latinoamerica.

7:33 pm  
Blogger Danixa Laurencich said...

Sí Realmente Patricia, qué hermosa que estás en esa foto, de Barcelona o Sitges,
Qué lindos los dichos de Pablo, por qué no quedamos así para toda la vida, con esa fantasía en el hablar?
Y lo de la FIACA de oscar, me parece maravilloso...jaja...es así, o te matás sin darte cuenta, o te agarrás esos períodos de tanto descanso que no sabés ya cómo se vuelve a trabajar...
Me encantó tu post, la vida sigue,como decía Sandro: al final...la vida sigue igual jeh!
un beso

2:18 pm  
Blogger Danixa Laurencich said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home